After Hello Kitty enjoying some watermelon (in my previous post), I thought to turn some of the remaining watermelon into this refreshing salad.
My recipe is based on Nigella’s (see link here), but I made a few minor changes.
- 1 banana shallot, in thin slices
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- approx 750 watermelon, cubed
- 150 grams feta cheese, cubed
- 75 grams pitted black olives
- 1/2 bunch mint, large leaves roughly torn, smaller leaves whole
- black pepper
- Marinate the shallot in the lemon juice and olive oil.
- Carefully toss watermelon, feta and olives together.
- Add the shallot/juice/oil with juices plus the mint and mix again, very gently so it doesn’t break up.
- Season with black pepper.
Nigella’s recipe has larger quantities, so I roughly halved the ingredients. She also uses limes instead of lemon, but I only had a lemon and didn’t want to go to the shop for just one ingredient. That’s also why I omitted the parsley from her recipe. Finally, I felt that the olive oil detracted a bit from the “freshness” of the salad, that’s why I mixed it with the shallot and only used 1 tablespoon, but you can of course up that according to your taste.
I packed the salad in my lunch box and added some a tomato, mini bread rolls and cherries to it. The green container holds some red wine chorizo slices.