The Bento blogger who inspired me most is (of course) Just Bento
Following through my intention to (re)visit the Blogs I follow / inspire me (see previous post), I can’t think of a better inspiration than the excellent blog/websites by Makiko Itoh. She is the author Just Bento – Practical and fun bento box tips and ideas, healthy bento recipes from Japan and the world – and Just Hungry – authentic Japanese recipes and more! –
Above is my attempt to recreate the Bento which is the cover of her Just Bento Cookbook.
I think that for me it sort of emphasizes how wonderful her advice is about packing healthy and simple bento’s. I have not been feeling well this week, but creating this bento for myself today was easy, all because I have been following Maki’s advice from since I started Bento making: freezing rice; preparing a stash of Bento staples for fridge/freezer; streamlining the bento making process; you can find it all, and lots more on Just Bento!
My bento above differs slightly from the bento on the cover of her book, but it still looks the same in general.
- It took 15 minutes to pack;
- The rice and chicken dish have both been precooked, portioned up and frozen;
- I only had to defrost & reheat these to pack;
- Steaming some broccoli only takes a few minutes:
- Adding the broccoli and cherry tomatoes (standard staples in my fridge) only another few minutes, and the same for sliced cucumber and radish.
- I don’t often have salad at home, so I used some bento dividers instead of salad leaves; and
- because my bento box is larger (but more shallow) than hers, I used some more cucumber to fill up the gaps.
If I can pack the above, whilst feeling ill, just based on everything I learned from the Just Bento website….well, what else can I write to recommend that you follow the link and check it out?
Actually lots 🙂
There are so many recipes; a list of example bentos including time schedules and calorie information; tips on preparing, packing and storing bento and a forum community.
So, if you’re interested in bento making, than this is definitely the no 1 place to go to: Just Bento!
This blog post is part of my attempt to clean up my Blogs I Follow list